My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was to be my new gym read book but it was so addictive I flew through it as fast as possible then immediately snatched up the sequels.
5 Things I love about this book:
1) It is both action packed and character driven.
2) Getting to know a foreign world nothing like our own, and being empathetic to it.
3) If you are having Divergent withdrawals, this book is like that but different enough with its world building to make you fall in love for it all on its own. It is post apocalyptic with hints of dystopia.
4) We have characters named Deuce, Stone, Fade, and Thimble. And once you understand the naming it is not cliched to have this different names, it is awesome!!
5) Last but certainly not least, the loves story between Deuce and Fade. They learnt first how to respect each other as fighters and their relationship grew naturally from there.
The writing is simple and fast but it had me with lumps in the back of my throat as we followed Deuce and got to know her world, then watch her walk away from it to find a new one. This books packs a lot into a tight space, and I enjoyed it immensely.
I would rate this an 8/10 so for Goodreads purposes that translates to a 4/5 🙂