My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book picks up approximately where book one, Enclave, ends. And just to ease you in gently I will give a spoiler, everyone survived book one. This is confirmed. Well, by everyone, I mean Deuce, Teagan, Fade, and Stalker. I was so worried at first about some of them.
So things that are awesome.
1. We get the setting of a peaceful little town, but we also get the feeling that while they think they are safe Deuce suspects that they aren’t. Hello tension.
2. I really love the character arc for Deuce, how she isn’t sure what to make of her family and how we see it changing and her love for them developing throughout the book.
3. Also I love her love story arc. Is it wrong of me to kind of be cheering for Stalker. I LOVE Fade. But Stalker’s persistence and his respect for her and her wishes and how he wants to win her and have her choose him, make me really kind of like him more.
4. It is fast paced. I never felt like this dragged at all. It had me flipping pages and wanting more. The pacing is perfect.
5. And the action scene. Wow!! Like the writing is awesome in this. It isn’t all purple and flowery, but it is the right kind of punch you in the face.
Also finishing this book I didn’t know what to do next. Luckily The Walking Dead was starting up again that same night, so WIN!! I know it says these are mutants and not zombies, but dudes, it was enough to take the edge off.
Mostly what I enjoyed was how fast and gripping this novel was. It is punch you in the face, with a love story but more punches in the face and then some mutants, and some google eyes, then punching you in the face with how awesome it is and I’m a girl and I can do anything, BITCHES!! That kind of awesome. Just saying.