One of these days in a future far enough away it seems almost impossible, but close enough that I can’t quit this dream, neither Cowboy nor I will need a day job, because my day job will be writing, and that will support us both. Yes, that is my dream. I know, it’s big and wild and crazy. It’s almost impossible you say. Except I know the stories I carry within myself, and I know the career paths of the authors I admire, and I think that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to do it too. If the chance is only maybe, it’s still a stone I have worn smooth in my pocket, as I worry over the future, and what ifs.
This year, has been a disappointment for both Cowboy and I in regards to day jobs. I continue to have one, YAY, but every time I interview for something else, I’m told not quite. Cowboy has been laid off, and every time he has a job, something happens to the contract, that has nothing to do with him, and everything to do with politics in the mining sector between contract miners, and unionized companies.
So even though things have been challenging and super hard, we have made it through. We are making it through. So even though last week he had a contract, that was cancelled before he could official start, I still think that this week is going to be an amazing week.
This week here are the things that are making me happy:
- My sister just came for a visit this weekend. It was great getting to hang out with her. I know she uses my place as a safe haven, a place to run away too, and I’m happy that I can be that for her. I know how much value there is in that, having that stability in your life.
- I went to go and see Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children with my sister. And while she thought it was totally bizarre, in a confusing, and I’m not sure I will ever watch it again way, I thought it was totally bizarre, in a I am completely delighted by this, and can’t wait to read the book, because I’m an author, and it’s so awesome to see how these things are created and adapted.
- I had an amazing Kick Off party last night for NaNoWriMo at Scrabalatte. I wasn’t sure on the attendance, because the forums have been really quiet. However we have between 15 -20 people show up, and that delighted me to no end. We had a blast. Intro’s where 2 truths and 1 lie, which some of us weren’t allowed to play because we knew each other too well. And then we got into cards against humanity.
- I started knitting on some Christmas presents, and it is wee and also delights me to no end.
- Halloween is tonight and I ADORE giving out candy to little kids. I LOVE seeing all of their cute little costumes.
- NaNoWriMo starts tonight at midnight!!!!!! NaNoWriMo is my version of a writing vacation from my life. I take every Wednesday off in the month of November. I write instead of doing house work. It is all kinds of amazing and awesome.
- I’m going to go and see Doctor Strange with Cowboy late late on Thursday evening. Way past my bedtime because I have a write in earlier that evening. We were going to try and go on Friday, but Cowboy has band practice, and you know what, I don’t mind losing a little sleep to consume fiction and stories. I may not be a screenwriter, but story telling is my jam.
- Write in on Tuesday evening, at Starbucks!
- Write in online Thursday evening!
- Radio Show, and then write in on Saturday with typewriters.
November is my month. Despite everything so far this year, there have been some really great and amazing moments. I won’t be buried by the bad. I’m going to focus on what is awesome right now.